Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Lions and Tigers and Bears...

Oh where to begin?! We have seriously slacked in the posting department (until dear hubby filled you all in on some details this afternoon), and now there is more to write than can possibly be written before my cold medicine kicks in and I start to nod off. Yes, it is just a cold. Well, one of the worst colds I have had (except that nasty virus I got over our anniversary - maybe my sister has poisoned me against going to the zoo!) I have had a fever, chills, sore throat, and congestion that started coming on yesterday. Thankfully not a stomach virus. Troy has been AMAZING!!! He says that the Lord struck me down to force him to spend time with the kids alone, and let me just say that he has really stepped up the plate - doing meals solo, dressing the kids, taking them to the bank so I could sleep, etc. I could not be more proud of him. And the kids, though they don't totally get it, keep saying "Mama es muy enferma!" (Mama is very sick!) I am on the upswing, but it has zapped my energy and caused my patience to wear very thin.

So what have we been doing over the last few days? On Sunday we went to the Metacaña Zoo, which is one of the largest zoos in South America. It was pretty amazing and nothing like any zoo you will see in the states. [AMANDA please feel free to skip this part - although, Sissy, you would be proud as to the fact that I was questioning some of this zoo's practices!] First off, you can feed the animals - zebras, monkeys, boar, etc... Second, you are only a few meters away from even the wilder animals like the lions. Third, the security seems to consist of some padlocks and that's about it. But the landscaping is to die for, and at several points you can see the Andes beyond the animal displays. It was pretty crazy. This was also our first test of walking for long periods of time with the boys. The twins seemed into it, but they must have been there before because about halfway through Samuel was over it and started doing all of the things that kids do when they are bored like not listening, attempting to wander off, etc... In Charlotte, we are going to borrow the Frey's new dog Ruthie who is part Border Collie to herd them when we go on treks like this.

At the end of the animal displays is this great playground, so we got to experience something truly joyous: watching our kids learn to play on playground equipment. The twins are afraid of everything so we are learning that they have not been exposed to much. I put Luis on the slide and he screamed the whole time and didn't want to go again. I put Daniel on the slide and I couldn't get him to stop wanting to go down the slide. In fact, he got to the point where he would climb the ladder by himself and didn't need me to be at the bottom - which got him in trouble on another slide in a different part of the playground where he landed on his butt and not his feet and proceeded to wail. I am so proud of his bravery though. Samuel was all over the place, trying everything out. I finally got Luis to relax and swing with me a bit, but it takes a lot of patience and "Estas bien"s ("You're OK") with him.

Yesterday, Troy took them to the bank which from what I understand was a disaster. Then we all went shopping in the afternoon, and that is when I knew that I was sicker than I thought because I was at the end of my rope with patience by the time we woke up from siesta I was burning up with fever and aching all over. And today I spent pretty much in bed while Troy was #1 caretaker. And it was raining AGAIN! It rains A LOT here. I hate to say it, but I am thankful for drought-riddled Charlotte because rain = no going outside = cooped up in the hotel with 3 boys = no fun for anyone, especially mama and papa.

All in all, we are doing well. We measure our days by mealtimes. We still feel very much like we are babysitting someone else's kids. Raul Velez Velez, the Colombia Adoption Program Director for Commonwealth Adoptions (our agency), called today to talk to Troy and said that "one day the kids will adopt you too." We look forward to that day and know that right now it is just plain awkward for all of us.

Like Troy said, tomorrow is our Integration meeting which is where we go back to the Social Services office to talk about how we are doing, how the kids are doing, etc... After that, the legal process begins and we will wait for the judge to issue the adoption decree (Sentencia). All we really have to do is hang out and continue to get to know these boys. Hopefully soon I will be able to post about their personalities to help you all get to know them a little better because they are each so unique and amazing. Until then, here are some zoo and miscellaneous pics from the last few days:


Our first (and only) family portrait.


Troy, Samuel and Daniel feeding the zebras.


Me and Luis watching one of the African elephants. Luis really likes elephants...probably not nearly as much as me.


The boys getting food from José our driver/tour guide for the day. He works for Rosario, but is available to take us anywhere we need which is great. The drawback is that he doesn't speak English, but Troy's Spanish is getting better everyday. Believe it or not so is mine. José asked Troy a question and I understood it before he did.


Our monkeys feeding the monkeys! How fitting!


This is the backside of the ostrich pen, but they are hilarious because they keep poking their heads up over the wall. Too, too funny!


Samuel had no trouble having a ball at the playground. He loves to play.


The twins are addicted to soup. Here is Daniel in his giant, catch-all bib. We still have to tuck a napkin under his chin because more food ends up on him than in him. He is a total mess, but he clears his plate/bowl.


After the zoo, we stopped for some traditional Colombian fare. Before we came here, I was really worried about what I was going to eat. I even emailed my friend Sheila Derr for advice. Let me tell you, as a pure, vegetable-hating carnivore, I am in paradise. I get yummy meat at every meal! This restaurant we ate at served barbeque (not carolina style) and it was so delicious. I asked for cow... I think I had cow.


Troy on the other hand had this unidentified pork... I am still hoping I had cow.


The twins. Luis on the left. Daniel on the right. And I did a crazy, but necessary thing this week - I sent their blankets to be washed (gasp!) Naptime yesterday and today and bedtime last night was a little rough, but we got through it. Fortunately, the blankets are back so they are sleeping peacefully. I apologize to my Mommy for all of the pain I caused her where my Poocoos was concerned!

9 comments:

David and Sheila Derr said...

Hi Troy & Andrea

I am glad to hear everything seems to be going wonderful (except of coarse being sick.) Thanks for the pictures. The picture of the meat on a stick in BBQ looks like llanera. The unidentified meat that Troy had looks like "Chiguido". I wasn't so venturesome to order that, but Sheila had some and loved it. Jose said we saw them at the zoo. I applaud Troy for trying it. More power to you.

We will continue to pray for you guys for tomorrow and the rest of your time in Pereira. I hope you feel better Andrea.

David

David and Amber said...

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say hello and let you know that I'm daily keeping up with your blog entries and really enjoy seeing pictures of your family. Thanks for letting all of us be a part of this amazing journey. I also love the parental lessons that are coming from this and smile with understanding on many of them (granted, I only have 1, who understand english but doesn't always act like it, and you have 3 that legitimatelly don't understand everything you say,so I'm sure the magnitude is way different) :-). You guys are doing awesome and we are keeping you in our prayers. Andrea, I hope you get well soon. Take care. amber gourley

Unknown said...

Andrea - I remember the poocous days fondly. You didn't like to have it washed either. It really was a little dingy. You know what they say about paybacks.......
Love you Mom

bonneyboys said...

Hey Guys,
I'm sitting on the couch with Sam and Oliver looking at your pictures at the zoo and my boys now know each of your boys' names and were pretty excited at the zoo pics. I love the family portrait! So sorry you are sick Andrea and hope you feel better soon. You guys are doing awesome and we're praying for you guys as a family! Much love to you!

hokiegal23 said...

hi troy & andrea-

david and i wanted to say hello and let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers constantly. you all are doing an amazing job, i can tell, even if it doesn't seem like it.

thanks for keeping all of us back in the states updated on your new family. we can't wait to meet your boys in person.

-the chinns :)

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I got your link from anothers & just wanted to congratulate you on your 3 sons. We are currently in Medellin adopting our 2nd daughter & I got very sick initially as well. Thankfully the medical care here was excellent & immediate & now I am much better. I can only imagine how hard it must be to be sick as well as having 3 new children. Your husband sounds great just like mine was. Anyway hope you feel better soon.
Wishing you all the best
Carina

Chad Nussman said...

Did you see los chupacabras at the zoo?...I heard those were widespread in South America. Keep up the good work! Flossie Jacobs says hi!
Later,
Chad

Unknown said...

hooray for elephants, i hope Luis also likes his oliphaunts!

Dad said...

Hi Troy and Andi - We are so glad to hear you are feeling better! We look forward to reading all about the boys. They are much like Pierce and Riley in some respects! Monkey see, monkey do! We are preparing for your dads surgery this 7/23. With lots of Love and prayers, Sue