Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Family of 5

Since I know you all aren't just interested in pictures of Colombian attractions (despite their beauty), here is the post you have all been waiting for.

The presentation meeting went very well. Short, sweet and early! We got a call at 9:25 AM letting us know the meeting had been moved up half an hour which of course put me (Andrea) into a tailspin since I hadn't even hopped in the shower yet. We met with the psychologist who has been working with the boys and she went over many of the details of their personalities. Then we waited a little while longer, and before we knew it...it was like they just stepped off the pages of photos we have. There they were. These three precious little boys that we have come to adore through pictures and the referral information. I can't put words to it. But sitting here now, as hard and overwhelming as this day has been, it somehow all feels like this is how it should be. Even though we have only known them for a few short hours (and boy what a time that has been), we have no doubt that this is what the Lord had for us all along. So without further ado, I give you pictures from Presentation Day:


This is us in the waiting room at ICBF with our in-country agency rep Nora Velez Velez. She has been the biggest help. I don't know what we would do without her.


The boys arriving at ICBF to come and meet us. The woman on the left is the psychologist and I believe the woman in the middle is their foster mother, but I am not sure. I will have to ask them. Oh and from left to right, Samuel (that is what everyone calls him, his brothers call him "Carlito"), Luis Angel, and Daniel.


They did not cry when they came into the room, but they were cautious. Samuel ran right up to Papa, but the twins dashed to the opposite side where the toys were.



By the grace of God, Mama remembered to pack some Hot Wheels (carro!) which immediately grabbed their attention and endeared us to them. They warmed right up after that.


Back at the hotel (I will post pics of this awesome place soon), Samuel is hamming it up with Papa's glasses. Papa has promised sunglasses for everyone when he goes shopping tomorrow.


Daniel is just too cute with his glasses to correct his lazy eye. They don't seem to bother him at all.


Luis Angel is somewhat camera shy and won't really let me get a good picture of him...yet.


The new favorite thing to do is toss toys off the balcony and into the pool. Papa and Samuel had to fish some of them out this afternoon. We are working on listening and not throwing things. We are also working on not hitting - Daniel gave Luis Angel a bloody lip today! Gotta love boys!


We received a photo album with a ton of pictures and other information on them at this morning's meeting. The boys were telling me about the pictures. It was really sweet and quite chaotic since they all compete for my attention!


And for my sister's benefit, way #322 that children and dogs are similar: when they play hard, they eventually take a nap. This was the only peace and quite that our hotel had from about 12:30 PM until we put them to bed at 8:30 PM.

Today has been crazy, chaotic, really hard at times, but mostly just beautiful and a whole lot of fun. The highlights are that Luis Angel screams (and I mean screams) when you try to give him a bath, the minute we sit down to eat everyone has to "chi chi", they actually want to and ask to brush their teeth, they throw their toys, Daniel is a hitter, Luis Angel is a whiner, Samuel is like a third parent, the twins suck their thumbs when they sleep (and they have blankies to boot!), and they are just 100% boys. I am still not sure I know what to do with boys. Troy and I keep looking at each other like, "what in the world have we gotten ourselves in to?" But I can't wait for all of you to meet them. Hopefully they will be speaking some English by then, or I will at least be able to translate better. Oh that reminds me, the two words of the day "No!" and "Cuidado" (careful).

On that note, good night!

24 comments:

Michelle said...

Congratulations!!!

I have a six year old son whom I've had since he was 5 months old and (as well as a 3 year old daughter, both adopted from Colombia) and I can tell you my son STILL wears me out every day. So, I can only imagine how HARD it must be to jump right in to parenting 3 boys.

They are absolutely beautiful kids. Enjoy Colombia...you'll miss it so much when you leave.

Oh, and if you remember, can you please say HOLA to Nora from La Familia Newman? :) She was a God send when we adopted both Jacob and Sara.

God Bless!

Dan and Karen said...

Sounds like everything is going just like it should. It really is an experience like none other. You'll figure out what to do with them! They will keep you busy and tired, but it will be a good kind of tired. Thanks for posting today.

Nicole said...

Your new blog name should be "Party of Five". Isn't it crazy how fast it all happens once your there? If we didn't have Avi, I would swear it was a dream!

Looking forward to watching you all bond!

Beth said...

Congrats Congrats Congrats. Today a new chapter in your story begins. Know we are here in the states praying for you, try to enjoy each moment of being a MAMI!!! Blessings.

clariposa said...

Hooooooorrraaaaayyyy!
So so so exciting! I can't wait to meet them!!!! When can we come over???? When will you be home?????
Over joyed. really.
James says: "crazy"
I guess that fits, too!
We love you all!
~Claire

Laura said...

YAY! You're boys are so adorable. We are so happy for you guys. Congrats!!!

Mami Yaya said...

Amazing. Simply amazing. Congratulations.

David and Sheila Derr said...

Ah, the early days! =) Hang in there you guys; this is going to be one ride that you will remember very clearly most every detail that is a part of it!

I am sure that today has been full of emotions, and a mixed bag at times as well. The next couple days may even feel the same. The boys are absolutely adorable, and it sounds like they have amazing personalities to go with the cute factor! Ha!

We are praying for all of you: praying for the attachment process as it begins, for clear communication, understanding and trust, the grief process, your own care and rest, as well as for the many opportunities that you will have as a family there in Colombia to learn more about the wonderful place that the boys have called home for so long! May you see clearly God's leading, timing, and provision as you begin to acquaint yourself as a family of 5!!!!! Whoo-hoo!!!!!

Sheila, David, & Jonatan

P.S. The psychologist that you guys are working with is amazing! She is very helpful and so open to be asked whatever is on your mind with the boys. So, don't be shy at your next meeting with her...if you have questions, that is. Much love for now!

Unknown said...

You finally have your dream realized. How blessed we all are. They are beautiful grandsons and I can't wait to meet them. As I set hear with tears of happiness streaming down my face, I realize that after months of sadness there is wonderful "JOY".

Genece said...

Congratulations to the new family of 5! I absolutely loved seeing and hearing how your day went! It's been a long time in the making and finally happened for you two. The boys seem to be full of energy, to be expected. I'm cracking up at your description of Luis Angel screaming about a bath as I have a little guy Luis who hates bathtime too, and even though my little guy is only 17 months old now, I'm afraid this dislike will probably stay with him through the ages.

Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your special day. What little blessings they truly are!
Genece

Anonymous said...

Troy and Andrea. Congrats on being parents! (Really, as Corey Elinburg said this past Sunday, you two have gone from 0 to 60 in 2.4 seconds!). We continue to pray for the transition and eventual flight home.
-Mark Weathers

Unknown said...

I am so happy for the two of you! I have tears in my eyes! I love you both and I already love the newest members of our family! Remember, they may not be with us anymore, but Granny, Pappy, Uncle Eddie, Aunt Car and Mama are smiling right now.

Your loving cousin,
KJ

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you both. I am sitting here at work crying as I read this. You two have waited so long for this and I know you will be the best parents ever. I am sending lots of hugs and kisses to you and my nephews. I cant wait to see the boys and hug them to pieces. They are so cute. Love you all bunches. Becca

Anonymous said...

PS....Andrea I love your haircut. It looks so good. Bec

Brian and Penny said...

How wonderful your family looks! We look forward to following the ups and downs of your journey. Hopefully we can meet up in Bogota!

Red said...

I absolutely adore the picture of you (Andrea) with the boys on the bed - it's an image that depicts how I always thought of you as a mother!!

Congratulations, it looks like it was a beautiful day for your family. We'll be praying for the adjustments for all of you.

David and Amber said...

We are overjoyed for you. I too, like so many others have said, am sitting at work crying tears of pure joy for you and your family of 5. Congratulations, we are keeping you in our prayers. Amber

Anonymous said...

Troy and Andrea,
I haven't met either of you yet (Brett and I go to Providence); I'm not sure how that happened since it's such a small church... but your post brought tears to my eyes. How beautiful these boys are, and how wonderful that you both were willing to take them into your family and love them as your own. They are definitely blessed (as are you). I will try to contact you to see if there is anything we can do for you when you get home, as I'm sure you will be overwhelmed. You two are very courageous indeed. Godspeed to you.

Dad said...

Well boys will be boys. Look! See how the cars fly through the air! Why does this give boys endless pleasure of watching them fly through the air? They sound like normal boys to me.It reminds me of the time I kept telling you that it was not "nice" to hit your sister with the wooden hammer you used to pound your pegs in with.The adventure is just starting, have fun with your new sons.

Anonymous said...

A & T - CONGRATULATIONS! We are all thinking about you here and watching for updates on the boys! They look so happy - I'm sure they know they're going to a loving, safe home! Keep us posted - our thoughts are with you!

bonneyboys said...

Hello dears! I couldn't wait to log on this morning to see pictures of you with the boys and wow! I'm sure it was a day of craziness and mixed emotions- as I was saying to ryan, you guys went from 0 to 60 in about .2 seconds. I'm sure there will be a period of adjustment as you get used to being needed 24/7, but the blessings and joy are measureless. I love that you are "mama" and "papa" too! I love hearing our boys call ryan Papa and I love being mama. Our boys are anxious to meet yours hopefully sometime in the next year.
Looking forward to the next post!
Love,
steph and ryan, sam oliver and felix

Lauren said...

It is an awesome privelege to watch as the Lord brings you into the role of parenthood. I am laughing and crying for you right now. My best friend has four boys and it is her joy and insanity all roled into one. It is comforting that even in the midst of such a major change there is the normalcy and hitting and throwing things. Funny what you can be thankful for sometimes.

Anonymous said...

Andrea and Troy,
We are all following you very closely back at the Y...there was a lot of blog-reading going on at the office today, and lots of (happy) teary eyes and "AWWWWWs!"
We miss you and are soooo happy for you!
Marion

Laura said...

Welcome to boy land!! I love your post...I am laughing and tearing up at the same time..Congratulations! So proud of you for stepping out of your comfort and doing something most would only thing about doing!! I love it when you said you and your husband were looking at each other and saying what in the world are we doing? Oh my goodness...I remember saying that when our son, Landon was a baby and keeping us up all night..what in the world did we do? LOL