Saturday, July 19, 2008

Home Sweet (Away From) Home

This seems like a fitting time to give you a tour of our temporary digs considering we have been pretty much confined to the house (me especially) since I got sick. My health is improving, however, I have now developed laryngitis which by no means helps with the language barrier between me and the kids. I am also still coughing pretty much constantly though my head is starting to clear up a bit. At any rate, here are a ton of photos to take you through where we are staying and tide you over until we can get back out in the world. Tomorrow is 20 de Julio which is Colombia's Independence Day. We are supposed to go back to "La Finca" for the day. We are also hoping to do some more sightseeing on Monday and Tuesday. Hopefully, and please pray big for this, Wednesday will be Sentencia, but there is no guarantee, our lawyer is just trying to get all of the paperwork pushed through for us. Though we love Pereira, and think it is incredibly beautiful here, we are more than ready to go back to Bogota to start the process to come home. Troy and I are desperately homesick. In the meantime though, El Cortijo is home and all of the staff here (Alaba, Betty, Jackie, Liliana, and Magnolia) and the owner (Rosario) have been amazing and beyond accommodating to our rowdy and messier than ever family.




The courtyard where we kick the ball around. Not much grass, but it works.






Where we eat all of our meals. Meal times are probably the three longest hours of every day.




Samuel's bed. It is a very big deal to him that he has a bed all to himself. We still aren't sure if they had to share.


The balcony just off of our room. The seat on the left is the "boring chair".


This is the closet where Troy and I hang out after the kids go to sleep. It is tiny, but it works and we still get Wi-Fi in there.




El Cortijo residents, Lola the turtle and Steve the bunny (named by Troy last night per the staff's request for a "gringo" name)

3 comments:

clariposa said...

And a perfectly gringo name indeed. Steve is very cute. You just can't get better than resident turtles and bunnies! Yay!
I hope you feel better soon, Andrea. We're praying for you.
It was great to see an intro of each boy. I do think things will change a lot when you get back to Charlotte. There has got to be some hesitation on the part of the boys since it's not all final. I don't know how much they understand, but moving to the US will be a big change and they'll really get that. The language will be a big indicator for them, I think. Right now, you are the visitor, but when you get home, you are the ones who really belong, and they'll have to struggle a little to see where they fit in that new world.
I don't really know what I'm talking about. Just theorizing.
And James said something about how he wasn't surprised that Troy couldn't get the shoes on the right feet... he evidently had trouble with his own shoes from time to time back in Norfolk?
We love you guys.
~Claire, James and Julia

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog is overwhelming, exciting, and funny, and crazy......oh right, it's about parenting. That's my life too.....

Unknown said...

I'm gonna get you 'Eh Steve if it's the last thing I doooooooooo!!!!!