Monday, April 21, 2008

Update...Sort of

First off, thank you to everyone who has responded with suggestions to our doggie-dilema! We know that this situation will work itself out. Hopefully we will be able to find a house sitter. From what we are hearing that seems to be the ideal solution.

Now, for a little bit of news. We got an email from Sarah (our caseworker) today. She wanted to give us what little news they have, and that news is that according to our program director, ICBF (Colombian child services) is waiting for a specific sibling group to be legally released for adoption to match them with us. Our agency doesn't have any information on them and won't have any until an actual referral is made.

Please pray for us. Troy and I are used to getting our hopes up and then having huge disappointments follow soon after. We have grown so accustomed to believing that parenthood is this very unattainable state of life for us. Most importantly though, please pray for these children. Every day that the legal process delays their release to be adopted it also prevents them from being in the care of parents who love them--those parents are hopefully us! Also, as these children wait to be released for adoption they are either in an orphanage or in foster care. Please keep them in your prayers as they go through major life changes that they can't possibly understand at such young ages.

We will keep all of you posted as we find out more information!

Friday, April 18, 2008

Calling All Dog Lovers...

Look at these sweet faces?

Sylvia, 2 years, 3 months

Baxter, 10 months

As we prepare our house and continue to fundraise, one detail about our impending trip becomes more and more abundantly clear... We desperately need some one (or a couple of some ones) to watch our dogs while we are in Colombia. The good news: they are really cool dogs, sweet, full of personality, completely house broken, crate trained, entertaining, and really cuddly. The less good news: we will be gone for about 4-5 weeks and they both weigh between 50-60 lbs. We aren't really sure that we can afford to board them for a month or more in addition to all of the other costs we are are incurring during that time, and we don't want to hire a pet sitting service because they will only come in and walk them a couple of times a day (anyone who knows our dogs knows that this will make them stir CRAZY). Any suggestions?

Friday, April 11, 2008


Well, the month has come and gone and we have no referral yet. It was a busy month though. We had an appointment at the USCIS office to get our fingerprints updated. We went to the Sheriff's office to get another set of fingerprints taken to send to the FBI for background checks. We each had a physical so we could have our medical letters updated, and we had our supervisors update our employment letters. We still have to get some of this information back so we can get it apostilled and sent off to our agency and then on to Colombia. I am hopeful that we will have this done by the end of next week. At that point we will be caught up until the next round of paperwork expires (let's hope for a referral before that happens).

On March 29, Troy and I celebrated our 5th anniversary. We were so excited to be celebrating what we consider a big milestone. We went to Columbia, SC (pun intended) to go to the Riverbanks Zoo. It was amazing. They have gorillas, penguins, koalas, flamingos, and a herd of four elephants (my favorite) just to name a few of the animals. The only hitch was that I had some sort of virus that had me all stuffed up and coughing my head off for most of the trip. Needless to say, what was supposed to be a romantic weekend getaway ended up with Troy nursing me while I was doped up on Robitussin. We are planning a “make-up” day at a time yet to be determined.

Another milestone that is rapidly approaching is the one year anniversary of the day our dossier was sent to Colombia. This just amazes me because time just simply flies by and I am not sure where it all goes. It seems like it wasn’t that long ago that we were just starting this process. Then again, sometimes it seems like this is the longest road I have ever been on.

Finally, we really need prayer. I don’t know that we have used the BHB blog as a forum for prayer requests much, but it may be time to start. Please pray that our referral would come soon. Please pray too for those we have met through this process who are also waiting or are getting ready to travel to meet their children (check out the links at the right). Pray that we would find the motivation we need to do the work around the house that needs to be done to make room for 3 more Eisenbergers. Pray that we would be able to raise the last $5000 that we need to raise. We continue to be amazed by how much God has provided for us in all of the various ways we have needed it throughout this process—it only confirms that we are doing exactly what we are supposed to be doing.