Saturday, July 12, 2008

Little Victories

We are making progress! The twins are messy eaters, so Troy went shopping and bought these giant bibs with pockets that catch everything. They also wet the bed, so now they get pull-ups at night (and they actually do a dance when they put them on so something tells me this isn’t the first time they have worn them). We have established a “boring chair” as our time out place and have looked up the Spanish explanations for why the kids get put in time out in the first place—the count by the way is Samuel-4, Daniel-6, Luis-0. My (Andrea’s) Spanish is improving, on a four and six year old level at least. Most importantly though we are getting out of this hotel!

Today, Rosario, the owner of El Cortijo, took us to her country club on the outskirts of Pereira. It was amazing. So beautiful. First of all, it is in the Andes (need I say more), surrounded by lush, green landscaping and palm trees. There is golf, tennis, soccer, etc… But what we were most interested in was the kiddie pool!!!! Troy is a total fish, and a lifeguard at that, so we want the boys to like the water, or at least be comfortable. No more of this screaming through bath time (Luis). And this club—David and Sheila can you remind me of the name?—had 2 pools that were kid sized. Perfect!

The only drawback to the day was we missed nap time and we learned that the twins need naps! All three boys fell asleep in the car on the way home though. It was really cute. Another lesson learned: popsicles are the worst invention—how long will their lips be blue anyway? Regardless of the mess, muchas gracias to Rosario for the treat and a great day out and about.


The clubhouse. Rosario is the woman lounging in the foreground.


One of the kiddie pools. It is about knee deep.


The lap pool. We didn't even bother working our way up to this one.


I can't get a picture of all of them together, but Troy managed to take this one of them in the baby pool. It is just too, too cute. I have no idea of what they were up to, maybe collecting leaves (las hojas).


Troy in the kiddie pool with Carlos and Luis. Luis was so brave in the water and did not cry or scream. I did have to get in with him at first, but then he did great. Daniel was doing great until he ate it in the kiddie pool. We were really glad he had the water wings on even though they could touch the bottom. It really freaked him out.


I think Samuel is going to be a fish like Papa. He isn't quite comfortable enough to float yet, but he has started holding his nose and sticking his face under water.


These two are just so funny together. They really don't interact a whole lot but when they do I wish I could understand what they are saying because I am sure it is really funny. When we asked Mauricio our interpreter to tell us what they are saying, he said that most of the time he doesn't even know because "baby Spanish" is a language all its own.

9 comments:

David and Sheila Derr said...

Hey Troy and Andrea! The pictures from today are so wonderful!!!! Your family is so beautiful and it is so fun to 'know' exactly where you are at and what you are getting to do...I remember that kiddie pool oh so well! As for the name of the Country Club, Rosario just referred to it as "The Pereira Country Club".

Getting out of the hotel was such a blessing to us as well. I am so glad that you are getting out to see things and that the boys are able to see more of the area that they have grown up in.

Have a great weekend! I am not sure how much 'posting' I (Sheila) will do in the next couple days as Jonatan and I are off to Massachusetts to visit with a dear friend of mine...I will talking with Dave though, so I will use him as my way to keep up on how things are going. Much Love!

Anonymous said...

GOOD MORNING FAMILY - The pictures are great. Keep them coming. Glad you got out for a little while. Andrea it was wonderful talking with you last night on Skype. What a wonderful invention that site is. I miss you. Love to all
Mom

Unknown said...

Troy and Andrea,

I'm just catching up on your blog as we've been out of town! I am so excited for you guys and the boys are just precious. I'm glad you are keeping everyone updated on how things are going. It appears that you do have some very active boys and I'm sure you guys are tired, but in a good way!!

I'll be praying for you, for communication and bonding.

Looking forward to reading more:)

Becky

Anonymous said...

Hi Troy and Andrea-

Welcome to parenthood and all that comes with it! Just got back in town and loved reading the blog, looking at the photos, and watching the videos (it was much more interesting than all the work e-mails). Can't wait for y'all to get back so we can hang out with the you and the boys.

Congrats and hang in there.
-Kate

Unknown said...

you should sell the one of the three of them to cingular for their "more bars" campaign.

Anonymous said...

Hope you guys are doing OK! Sounds like the swimming went well - the place was gorgeous! I keep trying to come up with some brilliant parenting advice for you guys... But I only have one 4 year-old - and he speaks English! :) Structure is important, as other people have said on your blog. The kids are probably testing their limits, and it is definitely good that you are setting some. Keep up the time outs for hitting and things that are absolutely not OK. A routine is important, as much as you can, at least. Naps are obviously key, as you guys learned, and I have found that snacks are very important as well. If the kids are melting down - or perhaps you are - it might be time for a snack break!

For some reason - as I was lying in bed trying to fall back asleep at 4am after being woken up by my 4 year-old with a fever - I was wondering if you guys had gotten booster seats for the kids for when you get back. I'm sure you thought of it when you got the minivan, but I just thought I'd check! Jim and I think of you often and check the blog daily - hang in there! What you are doing for the boys is just amazing.

All the best,
Priscilla

Anonymous said...

I just cant get over how cute they are. I just want to squeeze them. Thank you so much for your wonderful blog. Its an honor to experience all of this with you and it makes me feel closer to the boys....my adorable nephews. Love you all so much.

Becca

Anonymous said...

I just happend to run across your blog and took the time to read about your wonderful journey. My husband and I adopted our son from Colombia in November of 2006. Hearing your adventures while in Colombia make me think of the time we spent their. I especially laughed when I read about the Coca-Cola. I was was somewhat homesick, so having Coca-Cola (and oreos) seemed to make me feel more like I was back home. Well, I wish you guys the best of luck on your journey.

Makisha Howell

Anonymous said...

I just happend to run across your blog and took the time to read about your wonderful journey. My husband and I adopted our son from Colombia in November of 2006. Hearing your adventures while in Colombia make me think of the time we spent their. I especially laughed when I read about the Coca-Cola. I was was somewhat homesick, so having Coca-Cola (and oreos) seemed to make me feel more like I was back home. Well, I wish you guys the best of luck on your journey.

Makisha Howell