Thursday, August 14, 2008

What A Week!

Can you believe we have been home for a whole week today? Troy pointed that out to me this evening, and it really astounded me. One whole week! Boy do I have some catching up to do for you all!

So, what have we been up to? Well, we have been working out our daily routine complete with three meals, naptime and baths every other night. We have gone on a couple of outings to Target because where else would we go! We registered Samuel for kindergarten on Tuesday and he is beyond excited - he can't stop asking when does he go to school. Troy went back to work yesterday (which turned out to be the longest day of my life as I tried to figure out how to entertain and communicate with mi hijos all by myself). We are basically just trying to get back into the ebb and flow of everyday life. The suitcases are still packed. I just keep washing the same few outfits over and over for the boys. We are trying to catch up on bills and touch base with family and friends. Hopefully, before I return to work on September 2, we will find something that sort of resembles order and organization in our expanded household.

The dog situation has seen some improvement. The boys are still terrified to be in the same room with them, but they are tolerant of the fact that the dogs live in the house. They often call them to the gate, and today Luis actually took Sylvia her rawhide after I put her in her crate as we were leaving the house. He couldn't figure out how to get it between the bars, but I figured it is the thought that counts.

They continue to ask what different objects are in English, though they never use the English word. Although, yesterday when I sneezed, Daniel said "Bless you!" I about fell out of my seat with delight and immediately told him "Muchas gracias!" I am trying to remember to use both Spanish and English when talking to them, but I barely remember to use English for the most basic of things anymore anyway.

Tonight we had some really special family time. We have an incredible park very close to our house complete with numerous sports fields, so we took a couple of soccer balls and began "Operation: Wear the Boys Out". It was a lot of fun and we learned some new things about their personalities. It was just great to get out and play as a family. The best part was toward the end when Daniel finally started to get the concept of playing with other kids and he and Luis started to share a ball and kick it back and forth. This is huge because Daniel is not very good at sharing anything, ever. It is really hard to describe how amazing these little "milestones" are.

Well, I know this is long, but I have a ton of pictures for you too from the past week! Enjoy!

The boys waiting to board the flight in Bogotá. The twins are both clutching their blankies, and Samuel looks so contemplative. He was so serious that morning - it was as if he knew this was huge, but didn't know how to express it.

After screaming and crying on takeoff, Daniel fell asleep on my lap for quite a while with a lollipop in his mouth. I took the lollipop out before I thought to take the picture.

Luis on the plane.

This is our first supper at home thanks to the Freys! They were kind enough to stop by Chic-Fil-A on the way home from the airport for us so we could just focus on getting the boys home.

Troy was awesome on our first morning home. He let me sleep in while he got up and got the boys breakfast, then got them dressed. Muchas gracias Papa!

The boys absolutely adore Nana, Pop Pop and Tio RJ. We had a great visit with my family. I think Daniel especially is a total "Nana's boy". Sorry E, you may have some competition when we visit - or should I say sorry Mommy, you may have two boys constantly following you around saying "Nana, Nana, Nana..." You won't have any peace whatsoever!

Tio RJ had these 80s glasses that the boys thought were very fun! And they just love to ham it up for the camera!

In Troy's words, for those who are keeping score, Baxter and Sylvia - scary, letting your brother lock you in the dog's crate, not so much.

The park near our house also has a wonderful playground. This is our fearless Samuel climbing. On a side note, our van is the blue van in the bottom left.

Because the twins have to do everything their big brother does, Luis (who is not so fearless) decided to climb the same ladder as Samuel. Needless to say, I had to put down the camera and climb with him right after this pic was taken.

Daniel has gotten so brave on the slide. He can now slide without needing either of us to hold his hand or stand at the bottom!

The best part about our park is that Mama and Papa can play too without worrying about the police or security telling us to get off of the equipment!

Daniel might be feeding the dinosaur, I am not really sure. This is one of those things (like the cars at the arcade) where he wanted to watch everyone else, but was not willing to actually try the ride himself.

Bathtime has gotten so much better now that we have a bathtub again, and one that is more their size at that! Look at that smile on Daniel's face - who would have thought it possible? They both still cry when I rinse the shampoo out of their hair. I have deemed it inevitable.

There really isn't anything cuter than our three monkeys in their monkey towels! Perfecto (as Daniel would say!)

7 comments:

Laura said...

you guys have the cutest boys ever. Seriously. I just love the monkey picture!

IndianaJones said...

that last picture is priceless.

Nicole said...

Hah! I almost forgot about the whole security at the park. Who knew adults were not allowed to sit on a swing with a baby.

Looks like you all settling in...Take your time! I unpacked that night. I can be such an over-achiever.

Unknown said...

Definitely perfecto - wonderful update. Love the pics.
Mom, Randy and Tio RJ

Anonymous said...

I tried to email Troy the picture of the boys in their car seats for the first time...but it bounced back...probably because the "cuteness factor" was too big. :)

I absolutely LOVE the monkey towels...how appropriate considering their love for jumping on the bed!!

hokiegal23 said...

the monkey towel pic = priceless. so absolutely adorable! we are excited you have survived the first week back at home and are getting used to a "normal" schedule, whatever that means. :)

Lauren said...

Those are THE cutest boys ever! I love the monos picture. Things seem to be progressing. The boys seem so joyful. What a blessing!