Wednesday, August 27, 2008

First Day Of School!

Samuel's first day of Kindergarten was today! He was so very excited and we were so very nervous. Troy and I went with him into the classroom to meet the teacher and make sure that I could go over my list of paranoia: "He speaks no English." "If you think he is ignoring you, he can't understand you." "He shuts down when he is overwhelmed." "Did I mention he speaks no English?" Today was an assessment day and he is off until Tuesday. We find out his permanent teacher tomorrow and then go in for the Open House on Friday. According to Samuel, no one spoke Spanish, they watched TV and took a nap. I think they did more than that, but this is what he offered up.

4 comments:

Laura said...

He looks so happy to be starting school. Will the 4 year olds being going to preschool? We love preschool at our house!!!

Lauren said...

WOW! What a big boy. I'm sure you're so proud of him.

Anonymous said...

Dude, even if he spoke English he might not tell you any more than that. You have now entered the parental zone where your son will come home every night...You: "What did you do at school today?" Him: "Nothing..."

Joanne

John, Patty, Tiffany & Brian said...

Samuel looks so happy to be going to school. We brought Brian back to the US on April 2nd and he started kindergarden April 21st. I too was very concerned because Brian didn't speak English but he did fine. It seems the kids didn't care that he couldn't understand them nor that they couldn't understand him. They learned how to communicate with each other so they could play. Also, Brian has learned English very quickly. I will keep Samuel and his brothers in my prayers as you all continue to grow as a family.