Thursday, August 07, 2008

We're home...

...need I say more?

Today was a long, long day, but it will end in nearly the best way possible: with all of the Eisenbergers (minus the pups, of course) asleep in our beds. Hooray! I am very much looking forward to it and hoping that I can keep my worsening cough at bay long enough to let me fall into a deep sleep (despite the fact that I am truly panicked because we don't have bed rails on the twins' beds and they are bound to roll out onto the floor tonight).

Highlights: We were able to get seats together! All the boys wailed on the flight out of Bogotá until a nice man gave them lollipops to help calm them down. Daniel fell asleep on my lap, then fell asleep against the window, then both twins fell asleep through the landing (praise God!) Luis spilled his entire cup of OJ on me, so I spent most of the flight to ATL sopping wet and smelling real good! No one cried at all on the flight to CLT from ATL. None of the boys complained about having to ride in their carseats.

On the way home, we put the iPod on shuffle and the boys kept asking for more songs. As we drove past the Charlotte skyline, Modest Mouse's "Float On" came on and Luis started clapping along. The boys were so excited and "ooohing" and "aaahing" about the city (their ciudad nueva), and I told Troy that should be our theme song. "We'll all float on OK...even if things get heavy." It just somehow seemed to fit. The past five weeks (...er...four years...) have been some of the most challenging of our lives, but there we were driving down I-85 with our long-awaited children in the back of our minivan. We survived! We made it through infertility, the paperwork process, living in a hotel room for five weeks, and so much more.

When we pulled into the garage, and got out of the van, the boys were so tentative. I have never seen Daniel move so slow or cautiously. We had told them all day, it is OK to be nervous, it is OK to be scared, this is a big day. Within moments though, they were running from room to room, touching stuff. They love their room and bath room. They were very excited about their toys and cars. Several of our friends had decorated the house with balloons and a banner, so the boys were more excited about the balloons than anything else. For me, to have them here, running around, is beyond words. I know I am sentimental, but it did bring tears to my eyes. Our children are very real, and they are here, in our house! It is unbelievable. Watch out America! You have three new citizens! How cool is that?!

20 comments:

Laura said...

YAY! I am so happy for you guys. It's so amazing to read your blog...I love it :o) I am glad your prayers were answered!

IndianaJones said...

Now I'm in tears too. Praise God. What a beautiful gift he has given you and those boys.

Anonymous said...

Welcome home! I love you guys and I can't wait to meet my new cousins!

Laura said...

I am crying reading this post. I am so excited and thrilled for all of you! Congrats on finally being home. God Bless you in your first year of adjustment period. I can not wait to read more! Get some sleep and enjoy.

Unknown said...

That is very COOL!! I am so happy that you are home. When I first got your text msg yesterday I had tears in my eyes to know that your journey has finally brought you back home with very precious cargo. This journey will continue the rest of your lives. Enjoy every minute of it.

Andrea please go to the doctor and get better. You will need the energy to take care of your sons :)
We love you guys - Mom and Randy

Anonymous said...

How awesome is that. I was thinking about you all day yesterday. I am so glad everything went well and everyone is home safe. This is just the beginning of so many wonderful things to come. I have loved sharing in your journey and I could not be more proud of the two of you. I love you all so much and I am so excited to meet my nephews.
Hugs and Kisses
Becca

Red said...

Welcome home! =0) I'm glad that everything went well yesterday -woohoo!! So exciting to read the complete joy and elation in your words (through the exhaustion anyway!) of having your boys home with you. Enjoy it!

Anonymous said...

Pop Pop says "Welcome Home" and I look forward to seeing our new gransons!God Bless with hugs and kisses.

Laura S said...

Congratulations on making it home with your boys. I'm sure the next week or so will be kind of crazy too!

Anonymous said...

Welcome HOME! Glad the trip wasn't too stressful. Nice that one of God's angels provided the lollipops. Our continued prayers will be with youall as you move ahead with your wonderful life together.
Uncle Steve & Aunt Saundra

Anonymous said...

Praise God that you are ALL home safely. Please know that you have been continually lifted up in prayer throughout your journey. We feel blessed and honored to have been given the opportunity to journey with you and pray for all of you during this incredible time in your family's lives. What joy we have experienced through your words and pictures of your 3 precious children!! God is good -- ALL the time!! Blessings and love from your brothers and sisters in Christ at Pender United Methodist Church in Fairfax, VA! May the Lord continue to pour out His blessings and love in more ways than you can even imagine as your family experiences many more exciting times to come. Pender UMC

Beth said...

Congrats and welcome home! Let the new chapter begin!!!!

Lauren said...

i don't even know what to say. i am so happy for you and excited to hear how you all learn to live in this new season of your lives. God is so good and will continue to pour out His grace over you.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome journey! Thank you for your posts. They were really neat and funny to read. I'm sure they will continue to be! God bless you all as you begin your US part of your adventure. Remembering you all in my prayers.

Jill

Brian and Penny said...

We are so excited for you! Get some sleep and get better.

Brian and Penny

Anonymous said...

welcome home! i was praying you'd have a safe, stress-free trip! i'm so excited you're back in charlotte!

Haberly said...

WOW!

Genece said...

Welcome home to the "Bouncing on the Beds Boys"!
(Heck, they are so cute and have so much fun at it, why not? Plus you gotta figure they've probably missed out on so much in their earlier years, they're entitled, right?)

Happy to see you're home. Sure hope all goes well in the next few days as the boys encounter so many nuances and you re-familiarize yourselves back to the U.S. and some of the finer things in life.

Megan said...

Welcome Home!!!!! Loved the video of the jumping boys...Congratulations to the familia siempre!

Jennifer Peronnet said...

Wow, so cool! These are your babies, your boys, not just babysitting! Forever!! this gives me goosebumps it's overwhelming here in Norfolk at our house, can't wait to see the real thing in your house!

Our boys are excited for your boys! We are practicing our "Coffee Break Spanish " from Itunes.

Soy Jennifer! Pretty good huh?
When can we bring lasagna ? We can stay with other friends there ...but really want to see ya sometime before they turn into teenagers! Love ya!