Thursday, January 31, 2008

Still just waiting...

I think that knowing that we are closer to getting a referral makes waiting that much harder. Though we have no real timeline or deadline, it is the not knowing that's driving me crazy. It is nearly impossible to have a balanced life in the midst of waiting for something so big. I feel like I have allowed myself to get lost in my work more because it makes the days go by so fast. If there weren't a writer's strike going on, I would be camped out with my DVR much more often. Although I greatly appreciate all of the encouragement about how we should enjoy this time to ourselves, Troy and I have had nearly five years of sleeping in, eating out, enjoying the freedom of travelling whenever we choose, and date nights without worrying about finding a sitter. But with that five years also comes the comfort of routine and the constant longing for something more...We are ready for our world to be flipped upside down. We are ready (so to speak) for diapers and feedings and getting less sleep (in all fairness Baxter wakes us up at 3:30 AM every morning--when he is awake, everyone else should be too). We are ready for our house to be filled to the brim with kids and dogs. I look forward to having toys everywhere and little kids clothes to wash. I look forward to going to the park and cooking meals for five. I know that our becoming parents will in no way complete us or make us whole, but it will catapult us into the next phase of life that we have been preparing for since we took our vows. So, for all of the nay-sayers who think we are crazy to bring three children into our home all at once, please keep in mind that this is what we were created for.

5 comments:

adam said...

I've been checking in with your blog a couple of times a week, and am always happy to see an update. I can feel your anticipation and am so excited for when you will finally receive your referral. The great news, of course, is that one morning you will actually get the call. While the days slowly creep by now, there will be a time when all the waiting disappears in the blink of an eye. I don't think you'll ever look back and remember this waiting as a short period of time in the grand scheme of things, but I do think you'll know that the kids you call your sons and daughters couldn't have been a more perfect fit for your family, and the same fit couldn't have happened in a different time frame. Happy waiting!

robin

Genece said...

Hi,
I've been checking your blog every day eagerly waiting for your good news & referral! It'll come... you're in the home stretch now!Yes, it sounds like you're definitely ready and passionately waiting to take hold of what is headed your way! I can't wait to follow along in your exciting days ahead as your forever family comes together. Keep the faith -- God's gotcha covered! We'll be praying for your uncertainty/waiting to be replaced by a wait of how many days until being united with your little ones!

Haberly said...

I like the picture of your house brimming with kids and dogs! It is cute to have toys everywhere... just be careful not to trip!

The anticipation must be awesome! What a wonderful event to look forward to, filled with so much hope and emotion! Rock on!

Nicole said...

Kids bring a whole new dimension of love to your relationship. We had 7 years of just us time. Now, we don't like to do anything without our son. He's brings so much joy to OUR lives! You'll see, it is sooo much fun. Enjoy the last few moments of time with just you and your husband. Go out to a late movie or dinner while you can. Your lives are about to be forever changed! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Troy and Andrea,

My husband Barry and I are adopting a sibling group of two from Colombia. Reading the blogs of other adopting families has been very helpful, and I'm thankful you're sharing your experiences.

We are in Winston-Salem and it would be great to eventually meet your expanded family when the time is right. Let me know if you are interested. You can email me at: mpradoatl@yahoo.com

We hope you get your referral soon!
Mary