Monday, March 16, 2009

Duality -or- The Adventures of A Reluctant Stay-At-Home-Mom

Many of our faithful blog-stalkers are always hounding me to update the blog more frequently. I get it, the boys are cute, you guys can't get enough of them and think that now that I am not working I should have more time to write. Well, the truth is that since I lost my job, I have been too depressed to write. In my head, this is not how it was supposed to be. I was supposed to return to work, find full-time care for the boys, and have my cake and eat it to. I loved my job. In many ways it defined me. When I lost my job, I lost a huge chunk of my identity that I have not been able to recover.

So why this post? Why now?

As I was sitting at lunch with the twins today, I was really struck by just how lucky/fortunate/blessed/"whatever you want to call it" I am. I have this realization often (usually at meal times), but today it really struck me to the core. I have had time I would not have otherwise had with my little guys (Sam included) if I were working. In fact, I might not know them as well as I do if I weren't home with them all day. Our bond might not be as strong as it is if I weren't home with them all day.

When we first got the call about the boys last May, we toyed around with the possibility of my staying home to care for them. This idea was quickly dismissed for many reasons, including finances, their ages, and my desire to keep working. I created an FMLA plan with my boss that worked for me and the company, and by the time I got back from Colombia I could not wait to get back to work. I was barely off of my part-time schedule when Luis needed surgery, and I had only been back full-time for a month when they lowered the boom. Devastation. Anger. Despair. There weren't enough words in the English dictionary to cover what I felt. The upside was that it was the holidays and I had the boys' first Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's in their new home to keep me busy. Only now, the holidays have come and gone, and I am still (reluctantly) at home.

This month I am approaching the four month mark of unemployment. I still do not consider myself a stay-at-home-mother. I cannot take on that title. If I get too comfortable, if I get us into too much of a routine, if I start to call myself that, it will make it that much harder to go back to work when I do finally find that much needed job. Although, now I must say, I need the job not to define me, but because our bills are stacked up. So I live in this weird limbo - not a "working mom", not a "stay at home mom". I am just a mom, and I realized today that's OK because that is exactly what our boys need because they have not had anyone just be their mom (or dad) before. Sure they have a birthmother and a foster mother, but they have never had a bonafide, smother-you-with-hugs-and-kisses, wake-you-up-in-the-morning, walk-you-to-the-busstop, tell-you-just-how-awesome-and-adorable-you-really-are kind of mom (or dad) before. So when I have freak out moments about whether or not their emotions are "developing properly" for their ages or whether the twins will be ready for kindergarten because they aren't in pre-K, I try to remember that Troy and I have years of loving on them to make up first, everything else will take care of itself. Loving on them is the easy part, it is the cabin fever that I have to ward off!

5 comments:

Laura S said...

Hugs to you. I'm sure it is tough both emotionally and financially but you are right this is a wonderful time for you to be home with the boys. Soon they will all be in school and you will be back at work and you will all be better for the time you have spent with them. Hopefully the adoption tax credit will help with the financial situation for at least a little bit.

Red said...

Praying for you friend, both that you'll find a job (and soon) and that you'll have contentment in your current role.

Dad said...

Maybe it was never your decision. God answered your prayer and gave you children to love and care for. Remember the story about the jar when filled with golf balls he asked if it was full. All of the students replied that it was. Then he added small pebbles and asked if it was full. Again everyone said now it is. Then he put in sand and filled in all the spaces. Was it full now? It must be full now. Then he added water and filled it up. Your life is like the jar; put the things that matter most in first and the things that are needed will fill in the spaces.

Anonymous said...

Hey honey, I know how you feel. I hated the stay-at-home thing when we first moved here, but then I got used to it. It was necessity more than anything that I went back to work, and some days it is a struggle because I want to have the kids when they are in a good mood, not when they are tired and don't know it. Hang in there, and cherish the moments you have alone with them. Take care.

Sue Eisenberger said...

First, don't say you are JUST A MOM! That phrase is the most important role you will ever experience! God blessed you and Troy with children to love and care for. In about 5 months (which will fly), especially with summer on the horizon, they will all be in school. Ask God to help you with the feelings you have. Count the blessings these boys have brought into your lives. And remember this verse from Jeremiah 29: I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you hope and a good future.