Monday, September 29, 2008

Gracias A Dios...

Where to begin?! I had wanted to post late last week, but I did not get the chance to sit down for very long. Also, I hadn't quite processed some news we got, so I wasn't quite ready to write about it.

Last Thursday, I took Luis to the cardiologist. Our pediatrician and friend, Dr. Douglass, found a murmur during Luis' well-child check-up a few weeks ago, so he referred us to a "doctor de corazón" as he has come to be known in our house. The paperwork we received on the boys said that Luis had respiratory problems and cardiopathy when he was 4 months old, so this did not come as a big surprise to us. What did come as a gigantic shock though is the source of his murmur. It turns out that one of his coronary arteries is not attached to the heart as it should be, therefore Luis will need surgery - open heart surgery. Scary, right? Troy and I were beside ourselves last week when we received the news. We are still in shock, maybe a little denial since we haven't received word yet as to when the surgery may take place (we are told soon). On the upside, Luis is fine for all intents and purposes - he plays, runs and jumps around like any other 4-year-old boy. Also, had we not adopted him, his condition would most likely have gone untreated and who knows what would have happened in the long run.

In news of the "how cute are they?!": After the cardiology appointment, Luis and I picked up lunch for everyone. When we sat down to eat it, Daniel did the prayer and in addition to thanking God for the food he said, "Gracias a Dios para el corazón de Luis Angel" (thank you God for Luis' heart). I could have burst into tears, and Troy and I just sat there beaming with a mix of emotions and awe over Daniel's insight and sweetness.

Over the weekend I got to go on a retreat with other women from our church in the mountains of NC. I cannot even begin to express how much I needed this break from everything. It was nice to not have any demands placed on me for a couple of days. I also loved getting to know some of the women of our church better and hearing their stories. I even had the opportunity to share the story of how Troy and I came to adopt these three fantastic boys.

And, finally, God continues to reaffirm this adoption in His provision of a childcare fix for us. Troy has been granted a temporary schedule of 5 hours per day at work and 3 hours at home. He will work from 7 AM - 12 PM, then pick the boys up from the Y at 1 PM, and work through their naptime. Samuel will go to Afterschool at the Y. We can do this for 2 months at which time we should have heard from Bright Beginnings (the CMS Pre-K program for children with extraordinary circumstances like not being able to speak English). If we don't get into Bright Beginnings...well, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Here are some pics because I know that is really why you all check this blog! Enjoy!

Daniel got his new glasses today. He is just so stinking cute, I can't stand it! The bonus is that they make his left eye much straighter.

All my boys. A self-portrait.

Papa survived the weekend outstandingly! He took the boys on an adventure that included a pit-stop at the Speedway! The boys love cars, but from what I understand there was some kind of truck on the track.

They are either excited or confused about the truck on the track.

Did I mention we love anything on wheels?

10 comments:

Beth said...

Know you are all in our prayers. I love the pics and glad to hear you sound up beat. God will see you all through. He gave you these very special boys and will be with you through this process. Many Blessings!

clariposa said...

I cried at Samuel's prayer. How sweet!
We love you guys and miss you dearly.
~claire

janine said...

You will definitely be in our prayers.

LOVE the new glasses! How cute!

Lauren said...

Well, I just sent you a note on FB before I saw this so now I know some of how your week's been. First--I love your family! They are the cutest things ever. You seriously make me want to adopt a batch of boys from Colombia. Second--so glad you got a break. What a blessing. Dad's are amazing--Go Troy! Third--I will certainly be praying for peace in the midst of this trial. God is sovereign over Luis's heart and crafted it without error. He will be glorified throughout it all! How amazing that He has given these boys such fabulous parents to provide for their needs. You are amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

How cute are the pictures. I especially like the self-portrait of Dad and the kids. And OH my Daniel's glasses are so styling. Adorable - they are all adorable.
Love Mom

La Familia said...

Hello Eisenberger Family,
We have not been on the blog in a while since we are still adjusting with our four girls at home, but we just recently updated and are keeping updated with everyone in the adoption/blogging community. I am in shock to read of Luis and his health. Let me tell you that I work in a Cardiac Cath Lab and know the coronary anatomy very well since that is my line of work. I know in my heart he will do just fine.....as scary as it may be. He is young, strong, and with a great doctor, his heart will be as good as new. I couldn't imagine how you are feeling right now, but my heart sank when I read your blog. We are praying for you and your family....especially Luis!!! Thank you for posting on our blog while we were in Colombia....it was so helpful when we were going through our ups & downs. It is now time to pray for you and your family and we want you to know that we are thinking of you.

Your Friends,
La Familia Baumgardner

Brian and Penny said...

Wow....you are definately being prayed for and let's just see what God can do!

Penny

Red said...

Glad you had a good weekend away!! And Praise God for his alignment of your schedules to provide for the twins - amazing...

We'll be praying for you guys and Luis as you go through the next few weeks. Keep us posted!

Dad said...

Well I guess it is a blessing that they found it when they did. Because Luis is only four years old he should respond very nicely to the surgery. I know it is open heart surgery but I don’t think that this type of surgery is really as bad as you think. I like Daniel’s new glasses they make him even more handsome. I am sure that God is watching over you and will take care of your family his way, which might not be yours. All is OK here and I am getting back in the swing of things at work. I go for a retirement meeting in about two weeks just to see how things stack up. Becca and the baby are doing fine and she is feeling ok. I will see Becca and ED next Sunday.
Love,
Dad

Anonymous said...

Please know that our family is thinking of you and sending lots of good thoughts your way. Luis and all the boys are very lucky to have become a part of your family when they did. I'm sure it is a very scary time for you guys as parents, but I know that Luis will get great care and be jumping around with his brothers in no time.

All the best,
Priscilla, Jim, Aidan and Kyle